Friday, November 7, 2008

Why?

I have been thinking a lot about the state of our great nation and what I can do to "preserve us a nation". I decided I should learn more about the Constitution of the United States and about the principles that led to its writing and implementation. I thought since I was doing the work anyway, I may as well share what I learn, read, watch, or hear. The inspiration for doing another blog was received when I was listening to a Brigham Young University devotional address by then Elder Ezra Taft Benson, who was a former US Secretary of Agriculture. Listening to the speech, "Our Immediate Responsibility," I got so fired up! It is such an awesome speech. You can download it and listen to it when you get a chance. Let me know if there is anything in particular you are curious about, and I'll probably be curious about it too and share what I learn. If you learn anything, please share it with me!

On the playlist there are some patriotic songs I love and some awesome sound bites from some great defenders of liberty.

3 comments:

Syd said...

Didn't you LOVE that article? I would like to say that I am the one, or one of the people,that sent it to you. : ) I am wondering why the prophet at the time, and Elder Benson took such a strong stand against communism. I know that there was the "red scare," I think that is the term, with respect to the American people being scared that there were communists among them, but the church doesn't come out like that very often, why did they do it at this time?

I am excited about this blog! I think I am going to start reading "Democracy in America" again.

Syd

Toodles said...

Courtney, you rock!! Would you please move back to St. George??! Okay, you don't have to, but I saw something on Facebook that made me think you're thinking about it...

This is an awesome blog! I'm stoked to check out your updates. If I could make one suggestion... it's a little hard to read the words so you may want to make them darker or bold them or something.

Dirk and I are studying the Constitution right now as well... there's so much to learn and so many things that go right over my head. I'm reading "Pillar of Iron" right now about Cicero. It's way good. I've always liked learning about Rome b/c it's so Parallel to the US. You should read it. It's by Taylor Caldwell...

BYU Lewis said...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Syd, It wasn't just a scare, there really were communists in the government not just the threat of them, even though people denied being communists. Alger Hiss was one of the most prominent Communists within the government, and Elder Benson named him in the talk.

And I'm still tweaking the format.